This weekend was very active and productive. I have the pendulum up and running
First was to wind the coil and fix it in place. I made the coil reel using a 1/4” brass tube and for the sides I cut two circles of 1” diameter of 1/16” plywood.
The screw in the center of the coil is not for fixation which, I fixed it to the base with double side glue duct tape. The function of the screw is to adjust to torque of the pulse motor.
Then I wired the driver circuit and the optical switch.
After testing the motor without the pendulum I milled and installed the pendulum slotted guide in the rotor, hanged the pendulum and started to test and calibrate the height of the bob and the torque of the motor. I set it to run at exactly one second per turn with the help of the oscilloscope.
I had to reinforce the arcs as they were moving and oscillating with the pendulum movement so I added a vertical wood support to hold the arcs at the top. Now I must think in a way to make some kind of reinforcement in the final design of the clock in order to hide this support.
Here is a video of the pendulum working and running very precisely :
And this is a slow motion video of the pendulum at 1/8th of the speed. A full turn will be 8 seconds:
Now I have to go back to the drawing table (My Computer) modify the final design with the new pendulum and find a way to reinforce the arcs structure without affecting the beauty of the design.
See you soon in my garage!
Post a Comment
Please be aware that any comment with commercial links will be immediately deleted and declared as SPAM.
If you want to advertise in my blog please contact me to agree in a fee and i will be happy to add your link in the side bar.